Monday, September 5, 2016

Appreciation Tuesday


So a friend of mine stopped me this weekend at the agility trial.  Out of the blue she said to me, “Vici, someone said something to me that totally made a shift in my thinking.  He said if we substitute appreciation for expectation, it makes a big difference.”

That thought has stayed with me.  I’m often at odds with my expectations and gratitude.  I find myself disappointed in myself.  I become disappointed in people when they don’t live up to my expectations.  
I’m often not fair to myself or others when expectations aren’t met.

My new thing is going to be when I find myself having these expectations (real or imagined), I’m going to work hard to change that expectation to appreciation.  

Today I looked at my photo of me and Fin on the podium.  I expected to see me looking thinner and honestly was so freak’n disappointed that I didn’t look that good.  Instead of dwelling on that, I want to say that I am grateful to be there, I am appreciative I could share it with my friends, and gosh darn it, I got down on one knee and then got back up without help and making an embarrassing scene….my exercise is working.

I am incredibly grateful for my life.  Even on the tough days.  I am grateful that I have friends and family that I can depend on.  I’m truly grateful for the gifts of companionship that I have.  Today I’m most grateful that I’ve been able to make a shift in my thinking about how I eat to enable me to follow an eating plan that is working.  

I’m out of my Friday funk.  Olive was awesome this weekend giving me really great attention and focus.  Fin was the bomb and I even danced Sunday night.  Humor, laughter, and good friends.  

Tomorrow, up early for a walk.  I’m exhausted!

We are on day 5 of our month of September!  100% tracking so far.  What are you doing to make your September a success.  What are you grateful for?

No comments: