Thursday, August 6, 2009

When Bad Things Happen to Good Dogs...

Tazzie of all my dogs has the most beautiful coat. His breeder would probably kill me if she knew what I do during the summer. At any rate, she'll not want to give me another sheltie anytime soon. My conundrum is that of all my shelties, Tazzie has the fullest longest coat, yet he is the one that wants to swim and his hair drags him down when he is swiming. Sheltie hair in the pool is not all that much fun.

Tazzie asks, "step away from the electric shears!" Tazz also gets really hot. Although the last few days it has been mild, we will get multiple days over 100 before summer is up. So I trim him up. Usually that trim is mild. This year, it is extreme.

Fin runs saying, "take him, not me!"

I trimmed him earlier in the summer, but his coat had come in a couple inches, so I thought I'd try to take it a little shorter. One thing led to another and this is the result.

My problem is that it isn't totally even. Every time I try to go in and even it up, I make it shorter. I think I'm just going to let it grow and even it up as it comes in.

Hopefully now Tazz won't be sucked down to the depths of the pool by his heavy coat. The good news is that I don't think my friends will be lining up for me to trim their dogs once they see Tazz. There is always a silver lining.
Hopefully he will grow to love the shorter look and run faster on the agility field.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

SpaceMonkey thinks he looks HOT!

Since you've gone this far might as well trim all the long hair off and make him a true smoothie. Smooth dogs rule!!!

Laura
p.s. you can still trim my dogs...well maybe not Wynn. ;)

Trish said...

I think he looks adorable! If he was with me full time this would be his look all year round!