Monday, May 31, 2010

Remembering

Today is Memorial Day and although it is nice to have a three day weekend (I'm working so only 2 for me), it is a time for us to think about the men and women who have fought in wars for our country and our freedom. (Although the whole fighting thing is pretty controversial, I still think we need to be thankful of the men and woman who everyday put their lives on the line in the name of our country). Now the people in power who send them there...that is another conversation for another blog.
My dad was in the army. He entered when he was 16 and fought in 3 wars. He was a good man with a heart of gold. I think I get my, "let's have a good time" attitude from him. Also my bad conformation and arthritis.

I know that his experiences in the wars he served shaped who he was. I know that the scars that he carried (both inside and out) impacted his behavior and how he responded to stress. He is no longer with us, but his legacy of what he did is still there.
A big shout out this weekend. To the family and friends who have lost family members as well as have family members serving today.

I am taking time today to remember and be thankful.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great pictures of your parents Vici!

Trish said...

Very cool Vici!

evek said...

Thanks for sharing. Great post!