Monday, September 10, 2007

Waiting

to wait (third-person singular simple present waits, present participle waiting, simple past waited, past participle waited)
(transitive) to delay movement or action until the arrival or occurence of; to
await
You'll just have to wait your turn.
(intransitive) To
delay movement or action until some event or time; to remain neglected or in readiness
Wait here until your car arrives.

I really don't like to wait. I like procrastinating, but not waiting. I wait, then something happens and I wonder why I was so frustrated about waiting.

Right now, my husband is waiting for the phone to ring. He has waited for almost two weeks. He has received motivation to wait in the way of emails, "don't worry, we will call," or when he calls to check in, "don't worry, everyones at a conference, they'll call next week." Waiting is hell.

The phone rings, he prepares himself to answer, he answers, and it isn't the call he was waiting for. You know that call will come when we aren't here, so no one goes anywhere. Waiting.
This waiting stuff is for the birds. We are programed to wait since childhood. We go to amusement parks and wait in line, we make a phone call and wait on hold, we open a web browser and wait for our home page.
So can we stop the waiting? I don't think so. Can we stop the stress that waiting creates. Perhaps.
I'm going to go now as I'm waiting for a conference to start. Soon it will begin and the wait will be over.

No comments: