Thursday, July 30, 2009

To run or not to run

I've been doing agility for a long time, but I've never had to face the level of decisions that I have with Fin. I feel a heavy weight of responsibility. She is really a great dog and I don't want to screw her up because of my lack of experience.

Right now I am pondering my options on Fin's A frame. Fin's A frame is a 2o2o. I made the decision to go this direction as I just felt I didn't have a grasp on how to teach a running A frame and doubt about my ability to handling all that speed.

Fin fly's over the A with such velocity that her momentum often carries her off the end of the frame. These are spectacular A frames and I don't want her to loose this wonderful performance. I've been in a quandary. Do I tell her no (after a most excellent performance), do I continue and slip down a slope I don't want to go, do I quietly down her...then go on. These are questions I have been struggling with.

So the questions arises. Should I reconsider the running A frame? Can I really get consistent performance from a running A. Can I get to where I need to be? Is this better for her body or just the fact that I'm teaching the running, will I do it more which is harder on her?

Right now I'm going to sleep on it.

No comments: