Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Sometimes it is what you don't do that counts

I had developed a very bad habit last year.  Go to the grocery store and pick up something to eat on the way home.  Started off simple enough, was hungry at lunch time, went and got a sandwich and ate chips on the way home.  Became a problem when "it" was something I did every time...and I like fresh food so I go to the store almost every day.

Bad habits are hard to break.  I know.  I've had more bad habits then I care to mention.

Today as I drove away from the parking lot, I realized that I didn't even "think" about getting something to snack on.  Wow.  I am trying to do this whole healthy eating and tons of exercise each day.  I'm not making huge plans, just trying to change my habits.  Feels good to realize that I can change.  Successful achievement of goals is a satisfying and rewarding experience.

I also have bad habits when I run my dog. 
  • Yelling her name over jumps
  • Flipping my arm up in the air
  • Not rotating completely for a threadle
  • Not running full tilt to that last jump
I often do these things without actually realizing I'm doing them.  I'm looking forward to the day that I run a quiet course, don't watch myself on video flipping my arms all over the place, actually do a real threadle in an official agility course, and push myself running full out until I pass the last jump.

Hey, it could happen!

1 comment:

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

LOL, I too am trying to break that everyday going to the store habit which leads to less then ideal eating sometimes and it is funny there are times I would SWEAR I am not doing my habits that I do on course but an instructor will be like you did do that some things are so ingrained it is hard to change or even realize when you do them ;-).