Saturday, May 23, 2009

Don't just do it - write it down

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

How many of us have gone to a seminar and not taken a single note in our agility notebooks. I'm guilty.
How often have we gone to class, had a lesson, gone home, and the next day said, I screwed up in "fill in blank" and will spend 3 sessions today working on it. I know that often, I go home and totally blank out on what I did.

When I train with Moe and Nancy, they encourage us to write things down. At first I thought, why, hey, I'm doing this for fun. But now I realize that documentation tracks progress. Without keeping track, often we don't improve in the little things.

I'm becoming a tracker with my weight loss and exercise. I write down everything I eat and all the exercise I do. This week I'm also going to track my dog training as well as my dog fun. I'm courious whether fun exceeds training, or my concentration on training exceeds fun.

No comments: