- Join a gym. Now I will say that it isn't sufficient just to join. Paying the monthly fee doesn't mean you'll get fit -- you actually must go (I believed this for a while...then I started to go and saw a huge improvement). When you get there, have a plan of attack. Don't just do 20-30 minutes and say, "that's good enough." Plan to be there an hour or more. Do cardio on a couple machines (pick the hardest and do that for 10 minutes, then pick one that is easier for you and do for 30 minutes...build up on the hard one). I went so far as to get a personal trainer for 2 times a week (my fast food budget is paying for him...believe it or not!). He helps me with my strength training which includes lunges, step backs, squats, loads of ab work, and of course...weights for arms and legs. I pick one other day a week and do stuff without the weights.
- Watch the biggest looser. I know it is an artificial world. They don't have to be home paying bills and making a living...but it is inspiring. Doing some work out while you watch can also help.
- Take a dog for a walk. This does NOT equal going to the gym unless you are running with your dog. I don't run...I walk, so I am walking the fat one every day to burn some calories.
- Write down what you eat (This is my new thing I am adding to my strategy).
- Write down goals. Say what you want to loose and have a reward for getting there.
- Be creative in your diet. Don't get into a rut and eat the same thing. Get a couple books and try new things. During this time a year I am finding soups especially fun.
Hope this helps. I know just writing it helps me.